Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year my friends! Thank you so much for your immense support throughout the past year. After a super busy holiday season, I spent the last 10 days sitting at home doing absolutely nothing except sleeping and watching junk TV!   Oh well, I confess I did spend some time planning the new year, but before I get to that, let's start this post with a gallery of the well loved Mother's Birthstone Jewelry  that I made in December (click images to enlarge them) --
 

These birthstone necklaces, along with my custom pea pod necklaces, were definitely the big hits throughout the holiday season. I imagined each one of them going to a happy new home when I was making them and was very happy every time I had positive feedback from customers.

I still cannot believe it has been over 5 years since I started my jewelry business. 2012 was a very successful year. In fact, more successful than I could have ever imagined. For the longest time I thought that was what I wanted, so I was surprised to realize that deep down I want something different. I want to be challenged creatively.

Last year, I was approached by a publisher in Taiwan to write a book about my jewelry business. My first thought was, "why would anyone be interested in my story? I have a small business, not a big one. There are plenty of people out there who have a better story to tell than me." Living my own story, I have never felt there to be anything special about it, other than the fact that I started (and still remain) online and established a full time business within a very short time. After some long discussions on the content and direction of the book with the publisher, I decided to start writing a few months ago. I had worked through the first two chapters but then got too busy with orders and had to stop. That was when I realized my jewelry business had grown bigger than I wanted it to be. I knew I would not be able to finish my book in time if I did not scale down my jewelry business in 2013.

"Too successful? That's a good problem to have, isn't it? The economy is bad and so many people are unemployed. You should be grateful and try to make as much as money as possible while you can!" You probably wonder.

But a tiny voice inside me tells me money is not the reason I am in this business. It is a wonderful outcome of my passion for jewelry making, and I do truly appreciate my customers' continuous support. Looking back, I have been extremely lucky on this journey. I have only made very little effort to market my designs, but somehow you found me. It's almost like magic. 

Don't panic -- I'll still be here in the new year. I'll just be spending less time making jewelry so I can finish writing the book. I may become a little quieter (as if I wasn't quiet enough in 2012 already!) here and on facebook, but I will still be here. I may also be taking a few longer breaks throughout the year ranging from 1~3 weeks, so please be sure to plan ahead to ensure you receive the jewelry in time for your gift giving occasions.  

Here's to a happy, healthy and prosperous new year! 


 

2 comments:

SpiralsandSpice said...

Happy New Year, Mollie! I have followed along admiring all your beautiful creations for several years now. You were one of the first that gave me inspiration for my own Etsy shop. I send you my Best Wishes for more great success in your new adventure!

Siany said...

Goodluck for your book Molly! Congratulation for the sales, Happy New Year!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin