Saturday, January 2, 2010

My New Nikon D90

nikon D90 image photo pictures

Happy New Year!

I finally bought my dream camera Nikon D90 after X'mas! I'm still trying to figure out all of the settings, but I'm excited to see the camera already literally "automatically" takes much better pictures for me even tho I have never used an SLR.Here's some photo comparisons

My old Canon Powershot SD950--

Nikon D90--

nikon D90 18-105mm lens image photo pictures

I have had my Canon point n shoot for two years now and have really loved it.However, like all point n shoot cameras, it has trouble taking photos under low light (and my house is always dark like what you see in these pictures..)Here's another example

Canon SD950--

Nikon D90 --

nikon D90 18-105mm lens image

I'm still having trouble taking photos of my jewelry with D90.Even when I zoomed in to the maximum and use the macro setting, the jewelry still looked awful small in the pictures,too small to see any details, and a lot of the time the lens did not focus well, whether I used manual or auto zoom.With my Canon Powershot it was so much easier because I set the digital zoom to 2x(but I don't think I can change the digital zoom on D90?). Because I'm so new to DSLR, I still don't know what the problem is, but I'm guessing the lens I'm using now (18-105 mm) is not the best lens for jewelry, so I may need to get another lens and some macro lens filters.If anyone out there can help me with this little photography question, I'd really appreciate it :)

4 comments:

jacqm said...

hi mu-yin
i make jewelry also (urbanartifaks.etsy.com) and do all my own shooting with my nikon D60 so maybe i can be of help?

first off, no, you don't need a macro lens, i use an 18-55 so yours is fine.

second, you can shoot in automatic, just be careful to center the focus ring on the wire, not the pearl. you want your wire to be nice and sharp.
third, your pieces are going to look small. the trick is in the cropping. do you do any photo editing now? with this camera, you can crop it down to a 1" square and have it comeout so crystal clear!
Let me know if this helps at all, i'll be glad to help.
I'm actually a freelance photographer in real life but am trying to make a living with my jewelry to keep me going during my down time, which is how i came to your site.
jackie
urbanartifaks.etsy.com

mu-yin jewelry said...

Thanks Jackie!
uh..I will admit I'm too lazy to crop my photos :P I do edit photos religiously, but would really like to be able to see more details of the jewelry while I'm taking photos..I don't think I need a real macro lens. but I'm thinking about those macro lens filters that are inexpensive and seem to enlarge objects a lot.
mollie

Dave said...

Yeah unfortunately the kit lenses are pretty cheap and have poor construction. You might consider investing in a 50mm f/1.4 prime lens. You'll get fantastic depth of field and it shoots great portraits and in low light.

It's expensive and probably for when you are more experienced, but I do have a 100mm f/2.2 macro lens and I LOVE IT. I use it for food photography and I'm so so pleased with it.

Once you get comfortable, start playing around with shooting in Aperture Priority mode instead of Auto. But it probably only make sense to begin doing that once you get a lens like the 50mm f/1.4 I mentioned earlier. Zoomed in on your lens, you're forced to work at f/5.6, which won't get you much depth of field.

Good luck!

Ellen said...

I use only Canon equipment...so I can't help much but practice on Manual...this takes me back to what photography is all about...good luck!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin