Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope all of you had a great time with your loved ones.I took the day off from work, so I'm now all recharged ready to start working again!
I am very thankful that so far my business has been thrived despite the economy.I could not have done this without my customers' support. (I know I have said this many times before, but I just can't help saying it again.) It's such an amazing feeling that people actually like my jewelry enough to pay for it.And the more amazing thing is there are enough people paying for my jewelry that I am actually able to support myself with this little skill of mine.
I never knew that I could actually contribute to the society being a jewelry artist, so I gladly said yes when I was asked to donated my time to teach jewelry making to some teenagers at Carolina Teenager Development Center how to make jewelry (Thanks to Maureen Cody who sent me the photo from the first session a few months back). I have also donated my jewelry to some other charity this year.These little things makes me feel more like a "useful" person.

I also want to thank my parents for supporting my music education. Music is the best thing that has ever happened in my life.I would like to thank my piano teachers Pandora Yeh (葉曼青), John Humphreys, and Edward Auer, whom showed me the road to improving my skills and musicianship. I mention this because since I graduated from Indiana University Jacobs School of Music three years ago I had stopped playing the piano and begun a long "soul searching" process. Long story short, I have a strange relationship with the piano. Throughout my life all I want is to produce the "perfect music", and throughout my life I have hated myself for not being able to produce the sound I want. After I finally overcome every difficulty to pursue my music studies in England and the US, I spent every minute hating the sound I produced. It was simply bizarre -- the better my playing became, the less confident I was. After 6 years at the music school, I had forgotten what it was like to enjoy playing the piano.

In the past three years, a lot of things have happened in my life, and I am (thankfully) gradually able to look at life and music from a different angle. If I look back the path I have walked, I must say I am quite proud of myself.After moving to my current place a few weeks ago, my piano is now sitting in a separate "piano room"(which is supposed to be the guest bedroom, but since we never have any guest, I think it makes more sense to call it the piano room), and I have started practicing again.

So, on this beautiful day, I would like to share with you a little "home recording" I made this morning. This is a totally imperfect recording of my practice on an imperfect piano with imperfect acoustics. I will admit that it took a lot of courage to post something like this on my blog, since I know there are some professional musician friends of mine out there who may listen to it and say my playing is crap.But hey -- I've warned you.I haven't practiced for a while, and this is just a "test recording".

But I hope most of you will enjoy it, and I promise the next recording will be better.Here is the theme from the 3rd movement of Beethoven Sonata, Op 109. (click the link to go to the recording)

5 comments:

Meghann LittleStudio said...

Oh wow! I don't care how "imperfect" you say it is, CONGRATULATIONS on having the courage to record and post that. I have always wanted to play the piano but never had the money for it. Your playing brought tears to my eyes. I love that piece, and I can't tell you what I would give to play!
Have a great day!
Meg

mu-yin jewelry said...

Aw..thank you Meg :) yes, I feel so fortunate that I can play the piano.
I believe I struggle with perfection just like most professional musicians. It's part of what we are trained to do -- so that we'll continue to practice to get better. Believe it or not, selling jewelry actually helps me to see my music talent in a different way. My jewelry is imperfect, but people seem to really enjoy it.So I thought -- well, maybe people will enjoy my playing too. :)

Delia Adriana said...

Oh sweetheart, I love this. How awesome. I listened to that and almost cried. I know its very tough sometimes, I always get the feeling that you want it to just be perfect... and I guess you're slowly learning that "imperfection" IS perfection at its best. When you finally let go, that's when everything aligns in your favor.

Keep playing the piano please. I have a suspicion you'll soon figure out that it's just something you'll come to terms with very very soon...

xoxoxo
-Delia

mu-yin jewelry said...

Delia,you know why you almost cried?This was the first Piano Sonata Beethoven wrote after he became totally deaf. He wrote 3 sonatas after he lost his hearing completely, and this was the first of the three..I have always liked Beethoven, but I cannot tell you how much I love his last three sonatas..In this very short theme, the composer seems to have stopped struggling with his "fate" and all you can hear is his love and realization..and like you said, I suppose this is the perfect imperfection.

luv u lots,
mollie xo

Mu-Tien said...

Dear sis,
Be honest, I am moved! It's really beautiful! I haven't heard you play for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time! Keep playing and enjoying in it! Hope to hear more beautiful music!!
Best,

bro

Blog Widget by LinkWithin