Thursday, October 8, 2009

Moving

Mike and I have been living in a two bedroom apartment.After much discussion,we decided to rent a house after our lease expires this November.I thought it would take a while to find a place that we would both be happy with, so I started looking a few weeks back on Craigslist.
Even though I had heard a lot about Craigslist(both good and bad), I had never bought anything from it before.I marked a few posts of interest, and emailed two landlords. The next day, I got replies from both of them, both emails are in a similar format, telling me they were pastors relocated to West Africa and would like to least their house to "honest people who will take care of the property".The email also includes an "application form" asking for some basic personal information, and their contact number in West Africa..
If I had only received one email like that, I may have believed it more.But since I received two from supposedly two different "pastors", and one especially had very poor English, I was pretty sure they were scams.
We contacted the third landlord by phone.It was a local phone number, and we were able to see the house on the day of the phone call.The house is in a very convenient old neighborhood, about 3 miles from where we live.It has 4 bedrooms,a one car garage,and a pretty big yard.It's not the perfect perfect house.Everything is very basic--it doesn't have central heating(luckily it doesn't get too cold here), no garbage disposal,no dish washer, and no blinds either!But, the location is good, and the rent was right, so both Mike and I thought this would be a nice starter house for us.We will be moving here at the end of October.
The rent doesn't include lawn service, and apparently no one has taken care of the yard for quite a while.The grass is not growing.
Even though we're renting, we have been shopping for various home essentials such as blinds,flood lights and lawn mowers.I will have a slightly larger jewelry studio, so I've been thinking about getting a proper work bench (I've been making jewelry on a small computer work station for two years!), and maybe another one or two shelves for my jewelry supplies(they've been sitting on my floor for a long time as well!).
Other than the jewelry studio, I will have another piano/guest room.We hardly have guests, so most of the time it will just be my study/piano room.The other spare room will be the gym room.Both Mike and I are very happy with this arrangement.I can't wait to start working from my new studio, but I really really hate packing.I have been squeezing in one packing session for the past two days and hope to continue doing so until the move.

2 comments:

Meghann LittleStudio said...

Best of luck in the new house! I know how nice it is to FINALLY get good work space. I hope you have a great time there :)

Delia Adriana said...

Oh best of luck!!! I can totally see you guys in this place. I can also see a bigger and nicer place in the future, but honestly this is perfect for a starter home. How adorable! We need to pray for the lawn hehe :o) xoxo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin