Sunday, August 30, 2009

This is Just a House...

Or can it be more than a house?

It was a beautiful day today. I went to this house to meet with Deborah,the lady who rented it just a few weeks ago.She will be turning this house into an arts/crafts/antique shop in October. Deborah found me through Etsy a few days ago and asked if I would be interested in renting a booth from her new shop in Summerville, South Carolina. After a few emails, I decided to meet with her to check out this potential first retail shop for Mu-Yin Jewelry.

Since I moved to Charleston,South Carolina, I have been receiving emails from local customers asking if I have a shop in the area. I have been saying no for over a year, and now it looks like I may be able to say yes from now on. Although this seems like a casual thing for seasoned crafters, it's truly a big step for me because I started my business online and have kept it exclusively online until today.I have never done any craft shows or consignments, and the only few wholesales I have done were all processed online.My Etsy success has hindered me from getting out of my shell to meet with real retailers.

But my meeting with Deborah went pretty well, so I think I'll take the plunge for the first time. :) A lot of things are going through my mind right now, mostly concerning detailed business arrangements and the potential risks involved. I'm very nervous, and also a little excited. Running a small business involves so many things I never thought I would've had to deal with, but it's an adventure everyday, and I look forward to it.

Hopefully, I will be able to give you all an update on my first retail shop in a few weeks.Oh, did I mention I may also start to give jewelry making lessons here? :)

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Good luck Molly on your new adventure! You make beautiful jewelry and I sure you have no problem selling to the public.

amy h said...

I am sure you will be very successful! Make tutorials for those who dont live in your area!

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly~!

My name is Angelia and I am selling at Tea Farm Cottage as well. I am also an Etsy seller~!
I do Bows by Angelia, so all of my hairbows will be on display as well. I have stood looking at your jewelry many times this past week while waiting to speak with Deborah. You have some beautiful things and I hope many will come out this weekend to see all of your hard work~!

Sincerely,
Angelia Lutz

mu-yin jewelry said...

Aw...thank you Angelina!
Yes, I'm coming this Saturday.I'm very excited actually!I'll be donating a necklace for the raffle,and will also be there early to help Deborah with the set up :) I look forward to meeting you too!
molly xo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin