Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Test Website Finally Up!

Remember my last post about my website? Since then I have been working on that one web page everyday, and by last night I decided I could try to publish it.

My original plan was to do some basic editing and have Yuli fix the details and load it to my web hosting, but after I surprised myself by setting up a basic test webpage (two weeks ago i didn't even know what a html editor was and not to mention using one), I thought maybe I could try to load the files by myself too. So I started another online chat with Hostgator's tech support and ask them to help me load the files. It seriously was very scary for a newbie like me, but I kept telling myself, "it's ok, if something goes wrong, I can always start over.This is just a test site."

And I did it! It's live! The current url is http://muyinjewelry.com/test because,uh, it's a test website, but every link I added worked.This is really a HUGE accomplishment for me, considering one month ago I still didn't know what a "server" or "website hosting company" or "cpanel" or FTP" was.
I want to say a special thank you to my friends Julia and Joyce for helping me with the website along the way (they are my new buddies and we joked that I should change my name to Jolly so we would be 3J's ). Julia answered tons of my questions when I first started working on the site, and Joyce wrote a javascript function for me last night.When you click the little number icons next to the picture, you get a new picture ...

I like how this function makes the home page look like a gallery.I know this is a jewelry website, but my jewelry seems to look prettier framed :D

I'm so proud of myself and very glad I gave it a try.It really took me quite a while to get this far, but every time I accomplish one tiny step it gives me courage to learn more. Also, once I figured out the answers, I don't have those tons of questions in my head bothering me anymore.
I can't help but mentioning Laurie Jo, a tech support at HostGator. When I first signed up with them in July, I was so totally clueless, confused and really panicking, so I contacted their online support wanting go cancel my plan. Laurie was the rep who entered the chat session, and she was extremely patient and encouraging. Before her, I had talked to about 10 different online chat reps, who only made me more convinced "there's no way I can do this without a graphic designer", but somehow Laurie calmed me down and made me believe I could do this myself. Without her encouragement I wouldn't even have tried.When I recall this, it's just amazing how much we tell ourselves "I can't do this" and how a little encouragement can go a long way.

So,next step -- a shopping cart for my website! :D

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow, that's so exciting for you! I know this was a big goal of yours and a very ambitious one at that. Great work. The more you do the easier it will be! Off to go check it out...

SpiralsandSpice said...

Love the new website, Mollie! Great Job! The website goes very well with the look of your wonderful jewelry and also the Etsy website. It all intermingles very well.

Charity Joy Bell Childs said...

That white flower is gorgeous! I love it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin