Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wire Wrapped Jewelry Making 101 -- how do I stop my wire scraps from flying all over the place when I cut the ends of the wire?


Q: How do I avoid the scraps flying here and there when I cut the ends of the wires?
A: when you are about to cut the wire,rest the index finger of your non-dominant hand at the tip of the wire,as if you're poking your finger with the wire(but don't really poke because it will hurt!), and then cut it.The scrap will hit your index finger and fall straight down, and you can collect it. If you cut the wire right above a beading tray or a container, the scrap(wire end) will fall straight into it.
it's a good habit to collect left over wire ends because they can be dangerous if they are everywhere in the house. :)


Do you have some quick questions about wire wrapped jewelry making? Ask me by leaving a comment below and I'll try my best to answer you in a blog post.

8 comments:

Deronda designs... said...

Oh, I will try and remember this one.

Three Fates said...

Thanks for the tip :D I'm defiantly going to use it!

mu-yin jewelry said...

glad to know this tip is useful for some people!
My friend Crystal just recently started making jewelry, and she inspired me to write these tips for beginners.Throw your questions about jewelry making at me!

JewelrySupply said...

About 20 seconds left from the video link below also shows how to keep pieces from flying around.

http://www.jewelrysupply.com/index.php?main_page=1/vid_tech_cuttingchaineffectively.html

Dazzled Beader Designs said...

:) When my friends and I get together to make jewelry, one of them is always bugging another about her wire flying (and I admit I do have that problem too sometimes). This is a good tip!

cozysister said...

Ha, that's true! It does hurt when you poke yourself with the wire. I try to remember to do this when I cut, but I still always close my eyes just in case. I've had too many close calls when it comes to wire bits flying near my eyes.

Jewelry Making Supplies said...

I loved the article! These types of resources are extremely valuable to anyone interested in making jewelry. I can't wait to read some more of your articles!

Jewelry Supplies said...

I heard about your blog from somebody on our Facebook page and I thought I would check it out. Thank you so much for this information, I thought it was fantastic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin