Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year !!!

Today is the New Year's Day in China and Taiwan (1/26 in Asia). It's the biggest day of the year in our culture.In a few hours my parents probably will be getting up and have a big meal with my relatives.I wish I was there with them.

I have been away from home since 10 years ago, when I was young, rebelious, depressed and full of dreams at the same time. I left my country to pursue a music degree in England, and haven't been able to attend the family dinner at Chinese New Year since then. For many years it didn't concern me at all. But this year is a little different.I must say it's the first time I wish I was home to see my family.I actually didn't realize the New Year was already here until my parents and friends in Taiwan reminded me. The tradition is to stay up for the New Year's Day, which I accidentally did--I couldn't sleep at all last night for some reason, and didn't go to bed unil almost 6 this morning.

We have a big family--my dad has 8 siblings and my mom has 6.You're correct, this means I have 14 aunts and uncles and dozens of cousins, and also some nieces and nephews whose names I don't even remember. Up until I was in high school, my parents used to take my brothers and me to the south of Taiwan for the big Chinese New Year family gathering. It is very similar to
the way Americans celebrate X'mas, except that we get the "red envelopes"(i.e. cash $$$$) instead of gifts from the adults. Children who are too young usually give money back to their parents(whether they want to or not) who would save the money for them. Older children get to spend the money the way they want.
I have always been a "money saver". Every year I would save all the money I received and put it away for "something big in the future". I didn't want to spend money because I always had this sense of insecurity that one day I would become a starving artist. I am still saving now, even though I'm not starving(you never know if that money will come in handy one day). I want to save enough money as soon as possible so I can buy a house and then put a Steinway concert grand piano in my house (If you are not a musician, you may want to know a Steinway concert grand costs about $100 thousand dollars).
Anyway, back to Chinese New Year.I'm feeling it more this year after receiving two packages from my best friends in Taiwan. Another package sent by my parents is on its way here.It has not been a easy year for me, but I still feel truly blessed and am very glad to have reconnected with some old friends. And I'm hopeful this year will be better :)

18 comments:

Sedie said...

Happy New Year! BTW - I've given you the Lemonade Award, see my blog for details!

Nancy said...

You've been tagged -- stop by http://indiesistas.blogspot.com/. I also showcased one of my favorite jewelry pieces of yours in the process -- hope you don't mind.

Kala Pohl Studio said...

Happy Chinese New Year:) Hope the Year of the Ox is a great one for you. I know about missing family, especially on special days:):)

Alicia aka "Fashiona" said...

Happy Chines New Year too you. Never too old to miss home...totally understand.

Alicia
http://www.examiner.com/x-1799-NY-Shoes-and-Accessories-Examiner~y2009m1d26-Happy-Lunar-New-Year-The-Year-of-the-Ox

Mom said...

Dear Mollly:

Happy Chinese New Year! Wish you all the best! We are all staying at uncle's house in Ping Tung now. We also miss you a lot. Wish the next Chinese New Year we are able to reunion in Taiwan. The weather in Ping-Tung is very comfortable in Ping Tung this season. Wish you can create and design more and more beautiful jewelry which we are able to share the joy of creation with you. YOU ARE ALWAYS IN OUT HEARTS! We are doing good here! Everything will be better tomorrow. Bless each other ^^.

Love,

Dad, Mom, and sky

mu-yin jewelry said...

hello mom and dad and sky :) happy new year!Eat lots of good food for me and hi to everybody there!

ttt said...

Hello Muyin Molly:我是晨庭,我代表所有人來向妳道賀;祝你新的一年能事事如意,好運年年來!秀美阿姨祝你健康快樂,心想事成~^__^!希望明年可以遇到你跟佑佑姐姐。

呈上最美的祝福
HAPPY 牛 YEAR

Duni said...

Hi Mu-Yin,

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

I live far away from my family too, so I understand how you feel, especially at big holidays.

Good Luck with saving up on that Steinway ☺

have a good week

Duni

mu-yin jewelry said...

晨庭跟大家新年快樂!牛年行大運!
我看能不能跟佑佑說好,希望明年有錢又有時間一起回家過年 :)

translation: Happy New Year, Everybody! Wish you the best luck in the year of Ox.I hope next year I can go home for New Year with Yu-Li.

mu-yin jewelry said...

Duni,
Where did you learn this "Kung Hei Fat Choi" from?Do you speak Cantonese/Chinese?

乃仁 said...

Hello Muyin:
哈囉,我是乃仁,好久不見,看妳的留言才知道妳離開台灣已經十年啦,時間過的好快喔,在國外生活真的不容易,希望妳能繼續加油,我們(大姨 二姨 我媽 四姨還有大舅跟舅媽)都在這邊祝妳
牛轉乾坤 大吉大利

╭┐┌╮ __ 新年快樂!
╭┘└┘└╮ /
└┐..┌┘──╮
╭┴──┤★  ├╮
│o o│   │●
╰┬──╯   │  
  \__|__/____/    

Yoyo said...

呵呵... 怎麼大家都上線了!
小音姐謝謝妳早上寄email的,讓祐祐我也有機會在這裡向大家拜個晚年。希望在新的一年大家都身體健康,心想事成。也希望在虎年能有錢有閒,和小音姐去屏東過年。

PS.還有,我希望秀蓮能夠早日學會上網...

祐祐

Anonymous said...

Dear Mollie:
I am Show-may ant
Happy new Chinese year| how are you doing? We are fine and miss
you and YoYo Expecting together soon in Taiwan 屏東

GAGAY said...

dropping by!

gagay

Duni said...

Mu-Yin,

Once upon a time I lived in Hong Kong! I used to speak a little work-related Cantonese, unfortunately I forgot most of it, since there is nobody I can talk to here.

GAGAY said...

whew! THANKS GOD IT'S FRIDAY..

gagay

Jenai said...

Xin nian kuai le! Even though I am a guoilao I celebrated and made dumplings!

mu-yin jewelry said...

wow!everyone speaks Cantonese!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin