Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fun Fact -- Month the Most Babies are Born

custom handmade family birthstone necklace sterling silver or gold

Many of my close friends tell me I ask too many questions, and my questions often come out of no where.Here is an example.Today, while I was making some birthstone jewelry,it suddenly occured to me that I was short of certain birthstones and needed to reorder them.It got me thinking why certain birthstones were more popular the others."Can it be that more babies are born in certain months?" I asked myself.

I have a weird habit of documenting/photographing all of the birthstone jewelry I made since I started selling it (guess it must be some kind of trophy for me), plus I had ordered most of the gemstones used fot this design around the same time, I already had a rough idea about the answer to my question. But that was not enough for me.I wanted "scientific evidence" on top of my random sample to support my belief (now you know how difficult it is to deal with me).

Before I give you the answer to my quick research, I'd like you to take a guess first. Does it have anything to do with Valentines Day or X'mas?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Now, take a look at this following picture of a custom birthstone necklace I made today(which is consist of 11 birthstones) for the answer --

custom handmade family birthstone necklace sterling silver or gold [custom birthstone necklace]



Ha! You didn't think it would be Auguest(birthstone:peridot), did you? You can see the result on US Census Press Releases (with the source: National Center for Health Statistics) and also a post with similar results on ABC News. The US Census report gives you the statistics from 2005, while ABC News gives a wider range. You may also be interested in the article on Baby Center's website about surprising baby facts.
My own sample contains about 100-200 different birthstones requested by customers of random ages so the birthstones represent birth months of a very wide range of years.I have not actually calculated the total number of the birthstones of each month requested by customers, but August is definitely the most popular birth month based on my sample,while Nevember being the least popular.

Which month were you and your family born?




Be my next happy customer--order your custom birthstone ring or necklace at Mu-Yin Jewelry.

7 comments:

green not mean said...

I really love your jewellery..I will ask for one to be commissioned when I have some spare cash. I am witing for some. Maybe you can make my wedding stuff for me once we decide a date. I will bookmark you now.

Duni said...

I was born in August! I know about my birthstone, but for some reason I've always been more partial to rubies!

Great post!

mu-yin jewelry said...

I was born in June and my birthstone is pearl. Interesting, huh?Maybe that's why I've had such good luck selling pearl jewelry.

MsFabric said...

My Mom is an August birthday! I was born in February.

Melissa said...

I am an August baby but I was due in October. My daughters are March and July babies.

Mrsfatface said...

My husband and my sister-in-law were both born in August. I was born in December and both of my kids are March babies.

mu-yin jewelry said...

March,along with April, also seems to be pretty popular.I don't get many January, and even less February, but then a lot of March and April.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin