Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Critique--Getting Exposure for Novelty Products

Tonight we'll be looking at Meekiyua's shop. Meekiyua has a very interesting shop featuring "tiny origami people"...Well, there is really no better way to describe these little creatures, so I'll show you some pictures.






Meekiyua's shop is nicely set up and she also lists regularly.The first thing that came to my mind when I looked at this shop imagining how I would market my product if I were selling these little origami dolls was -- what kind of customers am I targetting? How can they find me?What search word would they use to find me?
Here are a few things I would do--


Tag: Use all 14 tags whenever possible.If you are selling things difficult to describe or categorize(like these origami dolls), try tag occasions people will use your products in and any other possible functions(e.g.I assume these dolls can be used as X'mas ornament so that's what I would do with the holiday approaching.If they can be flattened I would also tag them as "bookmarks".You can also tag them as "decoration"). You can aso tag the characteristics (cute, interesting, novelty, exotic,japanese,oriental...etc). Be really creative here.You may have made something for one purpose but give your customers a chance to use it for other purposes.This morning I was looking for a cell phone pouch on Etsy.I ended up searching for camera pouch because I knew since they were the same size,many sellers must have failed to tag their camera pouches as cell phone pouches -- unfortunately not all buyers are as smart as me : ) Most of them will not search for origami dolls when buying X'mas ornaments, but some may end up buying an origami doll when it is tagged as a X'mas ornament and pops up in the search

Description: Just as tagging, be really creative here when selling novelty goods. People buying "cute stuff that has zero or little function" are often impulse buyers. (Of course there are also some people who "collect" and purposely search for strange stuff to buy on Etsy, but they are probably not the majority)To talk impulse buyers into buying your products, you need to show a lot of passion in your description.

Customer Survey: if you have made a few sales, ask customers how they found you.

Etsy Forum: Be active in the Etsy forum especially when you sell novelty goods.Remember to have your best product as the avatar to entice other sellers to click and check out your shop. I know Etsy forum can actually bring sales for some sellers(even though this doesn't work very well for jewelry sellers, I know I have got quite a few sales from the forum).Sometimes other sellers will buy from you just because they like you.Sometimes you will find someone you like who is willing to trade products with you.Even if you don't get any sales from the forum, you can always get a lot of resources from the forum.

good luck!

2 comments:

Meekiyu said...

great insight as always! I do have a heck of a time putting up 14 tags.. decorations is definitely one I haven't thought of... ornaments is also a great idea! As for my sales half come from forums and the other half I have no clue lolol... but sometimes it feels very invasive to ask or so it seems to me! Great advice! 14 tags always! =D

thank you very much mu-yin =P

MelissasMelange said...

Thanks for this insightful critique. Reading your critique of others is useful as I think about my own shop.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin