Sunday, September 7, 2008

How I organize my To Do list



I make many custom sized rings and also do a lot of custom orders.This means I have to keep track of many convos from customers.I print out an order sheet(basically a copy of the "sold list" from "Your Etsy") for every 10-15 items sold, and write down the ring sizes or any special requests next to the specific order.I cross out the order when I finish it.I guess I can probably print out one sheet for each order but I prefer viewing orders on a larger scale.

Along with the order sheet, I use microsoft OneNote for other organization.It's basically like an electronic notebook which auto-saves as I type and delete notes(if you don't have this program, you can always use any real note book).I have pages named as

-with deadlines(as you can see, this is the most urgent)
-ASAP
-when time permitted
-supply orders

Understandably,things relating to orders and customer services are usually filed under "with deadlines". I delete notes in my OneNote as I finish those tasks, and when I finish everything under "with deadlines" I move on to "ASAP" and "when time permitted".I pretty much work a fixed schedule of 6+ hours a day, and try to make sure I always have something to do even if I don't have orders to fill.
Under "ASAP" and "when time permitted" are things concerning website update(which I am constantly doing), promotions and other tasks relating to long term business plans.
I just started doing the "supply orders" section (I really should have done this long time ago).This is the section where I remind myself what to order when I buy from my supplier the next time.I do A LOT of price comparison so I also write down the cheapest source to get my supplies here.

1 comment:

Annie Howes said...

Helpful! I use Gmail like you use OneNote. Only instead of sending the email to myself I keep it in my drafts folder so I can access it from any computer (we have several plus I have an iPhone). So I can always refer to my notes from the studio or from home.

I never ever thought to print out my list of sales (every 10 or so) but that's a really good idea. Right now I'm pulling out my hair trying to keep it all in my memory or jotting it down in Gmail, and then forgetting to check it...

Annie
http://anniehoweskeepsakes.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin