Tuesday, May 27, 2008

no more "day job"

After one month without a single day off from work, I kept working more on my website throughout the Memorial Day weekend. For four full days I worked without a break. From the time I woke up to the time I went to bed, I was always working on something for the website: catching up with the orders, making new designs, taking pictures, listing new items, answering emails, tracking non-payers, checking supplies...etc.

I had no time to do grocery or dishes, no time to cook, to shop or to pack for my move that is coming in 17 days, so I decided to take a dinner break tonight.

I was gone for two hours, and when I came home, I saw more new orders already placed. I was overwhelmed. I was worried about making customers wait too long for their orders. I was worried about making mistakes on the orders because there have been so many special requests.I was afraid that something may go wrong, even though I was not sure what that "something" could be.I worked so hard to catch up with the orders but it seemed I was always one step behind the demand.

And then I realized it was time to quit teaching.

I had promised my students to give lessons until the week of my move, but I knew I could not keep my promise anymore.It was a very difficult decision for me, because I will not able to see them for the last time and say a proper goodbye.I struggled for a while, and then did what I had to do--I emailed them to cancel our last lessons, and then I was relieved. I will no longer have a "day job". I now own a full-time business .This has been my dream and I feel extremely lucky it happened sooner than I asked for. This is the first time I feel successful, no matter what the term "success" means. It is exciting and scary at the same time. It is overwhelming, but I enjoy it most of the time. It has been an amazing journey and I know there are more amazing things to come. :)

2 comments:

June Shin said...

You will have to update your profile now. :)

mu-yin jewelry said...

thanks for the reminder!I just did it and it felt so good.Woke up to my first day as a "full time jewelry designer".Sounds cool, doesn't it? :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin