Sunday, October 21, 2007

Support Independent Artists

One seller on Etsy forum asked "will you keep creating if you don't make sales?" Many other sellers said they would still keep creating. Honestly, I don't know what I would do if I didn't make any sales on Etsy. I have been encouraged to develop my artistic talents since I was little, and every compliment I received in the past became the soil of my life and continues to nourish my art. While I have enough confidence as an artist, I don't know if I have enough motivation to make the outside world see it.

As crafters/artists, it's important our art sells. When I first started making jewelry, I used inexpensive glass beads and base metal wire and findings. To improve my skills I needed to buy more supplies to practice, and when I noticed how much money I spent on supplies I felt the need to start selling my jewelry. After I sold enough jewelry, I was able to upgrade the materials for my jewelry. After selling online for slightly over a year, I'm thrilled to see myself working with gemstones and stelring silver wire.

If my jewelry didn't sell, I probably would still keep making jewelry, but wouldn't have let myself experiment with different materials and styles. Whenever I think of this possibility, I feel extremely lucky and grateful. After selling hundreds of pieces, it still amazes me to see a new customer who likes my jewelry enough to pay for it, and it still makes my day whenever someone tells me "I love your work!" I know I have said this before, but I just can't say enough "thank you".

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin